Sunday, June 15, 2008

More on tactile kinesthetic learning and facilitator/formal authority teaching

What caught my interest in the first part of the course were the different learning styles as it coincides with the teaching styles. I am a tactile kinesthetic learner and a facilitator/formal authority teacher. So what I did was Google some articles on my learning and teaching style. The following URLs I found to be most appealing are:

Learning Styles: Tactile
http://www.pesdirect.com/lsitactile.html

How to Teach the Tactile-Kinesthetic Learner
http://successfulteaching.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-teach-tactile-kinesthetic.html

Tactile-Kinesthetic Learners
http://studyingstyle.com/tactile-kinesthetic-learners.html

After reading these articles, I found that I learned alot about myself and the way I learn. I sometimes wish I had of learned this about myself earlier in life because I would have done alot better in my secondary and post-secondary education. These articles were strange because they made me realize small traits about myself. I tend to twirl a pen while in lecture or studying, even when riding in a car and I'm not driving. I didn't know that was linked to my learning style. I've done this for years.

The articles furthermore helped with ideas for teaching students similar to my learning styles. The techniques I learned that are effective for my learning styles, I could suggest for my students of the same learning style. I figured that I can't explicitly cater to the tactile-kinesthetic learner. However, finding a good 'balance' of techniques to suit most common learning styles would be ideal for me in teaching an online course.

No comments: